Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tag

I realize that I have been not posting much of late. Blame it all on the hot babe who has recently joined marketing. I spend way too much time trying to catch her eye by walking back and forth from my seat to the cafeteria and water cooler when I should be posting something on my blog, or working if I get too bored. I've realized in the last one week that a) she is too intimidated by the work environment which pits 150 ogling men across all age groups against one lonely (and hot) female fresh out of B-school, and b) she is aware that she is hot and is too self-conscious about it. I feel sorry for the situation she's in. I really do. So I'll give her a week to get around to noticing me, another week to go for lunch together. And if all goes well, in a year we could be taking a stroll on Elliot's beach with the kid in our arms. However, I have a suspicion that all bachelors (and some married men as well) are harbouring similar thoughts as well.

So while
thinking up strategies to beat the competition and waiting for her to start looking at some other place other than her feet all the time, I got tagged by Mathew. So here goes:

8 things I am passionate about

  • Enjoying life
  • Critically analyzing everything I hear, see or read.
  • Postulating a hypothesis for everything. If a hypothesis is not feasible, at least an opinion on everything.
  • Respect for people's rights
  • Quizzing
  • Knowledge
  • That's not eight yet
  • But readers of this blog will know that I'm not really passionate about a huge number of things - I merely love most of the stuff.
8 things I want to do before I die
  • Ride a Harley in Ladakh
  • Write a book
  • Become the Prime Minister of India
  • Travel a lot. Visit every country on earth, swim in every sea, scuba dive in Antarctica, and of course, travel to the Moon.
  • Drive on pothole-free roads in Kerala
  • Scarlett Johansson (although technically she doesn't qualify as a 'thing')
  • Kill all the participants in MTV Roadies and Splitsvilla or at least maim them. Alternatively, I could just ask my Information and Broadcasting minister to shut down the channel after I become the Prime Minister.
  • Do some serious gardening.
8 things i say often:
  • 'Ayyo!'
  • 'Yeah'
  • 'WTF!'
  • 'Intha bus Nandanam poguma?'
  • 'Oru fish curry meals, oru ayala fry'
  • 'The risk in doing this is that...'
  • 'I'm not interested in your offer of pre-approved loan.'
  • A lot of Thiruvanthoram slang, but my fav -'Thalle, muttan Kalip!'

8 books I last read

  • Love in the Time of Cholera (G G Marquez)
  • Maximum City - Love and Longing in Bombay (Suketu Mehta)
  • The Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
  • The Catcher in the Rye (J D Salinger)
  • Critical Chain (Eliyahu Goldratt)
  • Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
  • My Name is Red (Orhan Pamuk)
  • The Inheritence of Loss (Kiran Desai)

8 songs i could listen to over and over again

8 people i think should do this tag

Don't have the energy to tag people after all the walking and strategizing in office. So I'll be happy if somebody chooses to take it up from here.


Can't stop humming this song from Subramaniapuram.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Vellai Pookal is one of my absolute favourites too. I remember when this movie came out, I hadn't even heard this song. And when I finally saw the movie a while back I was surprised to find such a hidden gem.

silverine said...

aarrgh! Why a kid so fast? Why dont you walk some more on the beach and maybe sing a few songs around some trees, if there are any left and then bring in the kid? :p

Reg killing all the participants in MTV Roadies and Splitsvilla...you need any help, let me know! Better yet, HIRE ME!!! I will do it for free!

"I'm not interested in your offer of pre-approved loan."

LOL and also credit cards... :)) Refreshing take on a tag!

Anonymous said...

'Intha bus Nandanam poguma?'

LOL!

mathew said...

'Drive on pothole-free roads in Kerala' probably the most ambitious thing I have heard after the moon mission by Neil Armstrong!!;-D

I love all the songs in Kannathil Muthamittal...esp the one you have mentioned..i was quite sad that the movie was not a commercial success...

thanks a lot for taking up the tag!

Karthik said...

I am also passionaabout quizzing though I am sure that I have not participated in as many competitions as you have.

And any song of Ilayaraja could be heard again and again :)The maestro!

Philip said...

mathew(NvK): Yeah, Vellai Pookkal never really caught on like the other songs...possibly because it was embedded in a taut opening sequence where the visuals were more important the song was almost background score.

silverine: hehehe...kids these days are very fast. Thats why.
So expect my supaari any time to kill those wannabes :D

anon: :)

mathew: My pleasure :)
My wish will most likely remain unfulfilled.

karthik: You said it. Ilayaraja is the maestro. And good to see another quizzer here :)

Praveen said...

Vellai pookkal is on top of my list too...one of the best from the maestro...there's a special serene quality to it...

am also with u in killing all those roadies and splitsvilla idiots...mtv now has everything except music bcos of these kinda programs:(

3 cheers to my name is red...

potholeless kerala roads...adutha janmamengilum nadakkumo ehto...

Neena Padayatty said...

Killing all the participants of MTV Roadies and Splitsvilla...I support u for Prime Ministership!

Very refreshing entries in things i say often.

Nice tag!

Badri said...

Pl dont kill Sambhavi of Roadies alone.....

Philip said...

praveen: mtv killed music a long time ago. apparently they are not happy with just that one accomplishment.

neena: LOL.Thank you for your support for Prime Minister.

badri: ROTFL!

nishita said...

thnx to u... i cant stop hearing aaro and ambala..

but god save me, i cant a understand a wrd of those songs...ha aha ah,..

since intern gives loads of free time and net and seeing u.. i finally started blogging again and took up mathews tag....

http://nishitabiddala.blogspot.com/

Philip said...

nishita: Thanks for dropping a coming by and dropping a line. Happy to know that you liked those songs :)

Sumi Mathai said...

again a very nic read..
i hav no words to expres my love for d song vellai pookkal..it uplifts ..it soothes..my most favrt..

Sumi Mathai said...

can a person who manages humor so wonderfully do justice to serious things too..??
i red d othr blog.. of drugs..
u write very beautifully..by beautiful i mean touching..easing..hilarious..etc etc.im very new to blogging..and havnt gone thru much blogs..do all ppl out here write so..??